Equality and Diversity
The high standard of our practice has been endorsed by external bodies, including the accreditation of the full review stage 2 Investors in Diversity award in June 2013.
“The college is a wonderful representation of equality and diversity and this can be seen across its campus from a variety of different ethnic backgrounds all working together to achieve the best output for themselves and the local community” (External stakeholder comment)
“I feel the college promotes equality and makes people aware of different cultures within our society” (Student comment)
We have recently demonstrated our commitment to work together to reduce the stigma and discrimination associated with mental health issues with the Time to Change organisation
The college aims to ensure that everyone is equally valued and treats one another with respect and dignity. We are committed to creating a positive working and learning environment that is free from discrimination, harassment or victimisation and place equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business by demonstrating our commitment:
• Being proactive in our response to our equality duties
• Achieving the Investing in Diversity standard
• Creating a learning and working environment for our students and staff that is free from discrimination
• Challenging inequality and discrimination
• Providing high quality responsive provision, services and support that meet the individual needs of staff, students and service users
• Embracing and celebrating the diversity of our students, staff and local communities
• Promoting equality in our policies, procedures, plans and practices
• Making every effort to ensure that our student body and workforce reflect the diverse communities of Birmingham and beyond
• Involving staff, students and service users in securing improvements to our programmes, services and learning and work environment
• Providing an environment where differences are respected and it is safe to disclose equality information relating to protected characteristics
• Providing professional development opportunities that ensure staff have the skills and confidence to respond effectively to the aims of the Equality Act
We are proactive in our equality duties and oppose all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. In applying for a course, you will encounter an environment where your contribution is recognised and valued, where you are treated with dignity and respect and where your potential is maximised through equal access, and a personalised approach, to learning. We look forward to helping you to achieve your goals.
Whilst we are proud of our record to date, we have a clear objectives and actions to address areas which require further improvement in relation to equality and diversity. For further information please see Equality Objectives 2012-2015
The information within the following documents can be provided in alternative formats on request.
Equality Strategy and Objectives 2015-2019 download here
Equal Opportunities in Employment Policy download here
Policy on Dealing with Harassment download here
Why we need to know about your personal information download here