Hospitality BTEC Level 2 Diploma
The Hospitality BTEC Level 2 Diploma is a one year full time qualification.
Hospitality BTEC Level 2 will appeal to those wishing to learn more about the hospitality and catering industry.
Students will learn a range of skills that will prepare them for employment in the industry or enable them to progress onto a Level 3 qualification in Hospitality & Catering.
Hospitality BTEC is taught at our Longbridge campus, conveniently located near Birmingham, Solihull, Walsall, Coventry, Sutton Coldfield and other surrounding areas.
The Hospitality BTEC Level 2 Diploma consists of a varied range of units, including some of the following:
- Investigate the Catering and Hospitality Industry
- Products, Services and Support in the Hospitality Industry
- Principles of Customer Service in Hospitality, Leisure, Travel and Tourism
- Providing Customer Service in Hospitality
- Planning and Running a Hospitality Event
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Food
- Contemporary World Food
- Alcoholic Drinks
- Accommodation Services in Hospitality
- Hospitality Front Office Operations
Functional Skills are a compulsory part of all Sixth Form Centre courses. Students set targets to improve their skills and gain qualifications, in English, Maths and/or IT. The Functional Skills and levels taken are based on initial assessment and previous GCSE results. There is a particular emphasis on skills required for Hospitality. Students build up a folder of evidence from their vocational work and may be required to sit one or more tests.
During the course students will be taught using a range of different methods.
A range of teaching methods are used – lectures, practical sessions, educational visits and visiting speakers. Students will work in the college training kitchens and in the realistic working environment which is made up of our main production kitchen and restaurant, Urban Flavours (which is open to the public)
- Practical activities – learners develop skills required for the workplace in practical cookery and restaurant & bar service.
- Case studies - these will be based on information from real life hospitality and catering businesses. This will involve visiting catering establishments.
- Class Discussions - a lot of lessons will be based around this where students have the opportunity to express their own opinions and ideas.
- Group Discussions - students will be in a smaller group discussing ideas and concepts.
All units are internally assessed and graded by tutors. An overall grade for the qualification is awarded to all students who successfully complete all units. Grades awarded are Pass, Merit or Distinction.
Hospitality BTEC Level 2 Diploma, equivalent to 4 GCSEs at grades A - C
Opportunities for Progression
Students gaining a Hospitality BTEC Level 2 Diploma will have access to a range of further education opportunities. Students learn and use a variety of skills throughout the course. These skills are in great demand and are recognised and highly valued by employers and colleges.
Progression routes at college include BTEC Level 3 in Hospitality.
Employment routes include trainee chef, hotel receptionist, conference assistant, waiter, room attendant.
The types of employers include hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, holiday resorts, conference centres, holiday parks.
Five GCSEs grade D or above including GCSE English or Maths
Level 1 NVQ or Diploma in Catering
An interview and assessment will assess your suitability and interest in the industry
For Further Information
If you're interested in studying a Hospitality BTEC Level 2 please contact the Advice Zone on 0121 477 1300, call in or email [email protected]